Thursday, March 5, 2009

I Majored in Wiki

As I think back over my many glorious years at college, I remember doing beer bongs, playing beerpong....basically put the word beer before any word and I was probably doing it. Good times.
When I wasn't studying to become an alcoholic, I actually participated in various educational activities. In fact, I wrote a thesis paper, maintained high grades and even attended a lecture or two. After four years, I graduated near the top of my class with a diploma from a top university. If the educational bureaucrats were to write a script for the ideal collegiate experience, I would be their star (minus all the drinking). The problem is, I didn't learn anything.

Sure, I learned "life lessons" and crap like that, but you can learn those from a fortune cookie. The truth is, universities aren't in the business of educating people. They are in the business of handing out a piece of paper so you can get a job. "Who cares if the kids don't learn anything. They'll get a job and learn from their employer. Besides, there is no other business in town. And at $100,000 a pop, why rock the boat" could be the slogan for the US university system.

Thankfully, two factors are going to contribute to the demise of the current university model. The first is financial. The math goes like this: Large budget commitments predicated on growth + shrinking endowments due to bad investments + increasing cost for student loans + shrinking alumni contributions + families who can no longer afford college = Screwed.

The second factor is that there's a new competitor in town that actually has the ability to educate people: Wikipedia. A few months ago, seeing the dark clouds of the economic crisis overhead, I wanted to become educated on the storm that was coming. I started my search on one wiki page and before I knew it, I read over 50 pages. And all it cost me was the price of an internet connection. Now DLaz (oh jeez, only three post and I'm already referring to myself in the third person, this can't be good) will school 99% of econ majors on the details of how we got into this mess and could maybe even hold his own for a few minutes with Roubini (look him up, idiots).

And the reason why Wikipedia is more effective than anything the universities can offer is because you can get answers to your questions in real time. No more waiting for your 70 year old professor to get back to you. No more arduous research in the libraries that fatigues the average person. No more 4 years of waiting for your degree so the universities can suck 4 years of tuition payments out of you just so you can announce to the world that your "qualified" in a specific field.

I can already hear people bitching, "but Wikipedia isn't a reliable source for an education." Well, you know what else isn't a reliable source? Fallible teachers with biases (all of them) and text books that change each year because the publisher learned something new, like that the theory of evolution is a better model than creationism (what! you mean some textbooks still teach creationism? oh, they don't teach creationism, they teach intelligent design. my bad).

Well, tonight, hopefully all of you will drink your wine a little more at ease, knowing that your kids may receive a BA or a BS from Wikipedia University and save you $100k.

18 comments:

  1. Should I be ashamed that I'm in grad school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. DLaz: wikipedia runs on user-created content. Who will create that content, if not bored college kids, with too much useless information in their heads?

    And if I was an employer, I would rather hire a college graduate -- who at least possesses a transcript that proves he or she is not retarded -- than someone who majored in the internet. Everyone knows the internet is for perverts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm not necessarily implying that there shouldn't be some structured courses/assignments/tests, but that we should build those structured courses/assignment/tests around wikipedia (and could be a lot cheaper). much better info than the book you "have" to buy from your crappy professor.

    BTW, in the future, your employer will be some really nerdy 16 old who has mastered the web. he wont care if you graduated from college, only how good you are at the world of warcraft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Careful as you tread your Wikipedia education, Doug. As I understand, anyone can submit content and it's not until later that something might get taken down if it's incorrect. For all the good intentions, aren't you a little worried that maybe, just maybe, the person in charge of that topic isn't as schooled as he/she thinks (or Wikipedia) and there is incorrect info? Where is the incentive to make sure it's truly correct? Just playing Devil's Advocate - I like Wiki too but I don't trust people enough to rely on something like that. It'll make you dangerous on a topic, but won't truly educate you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article from Krugman today. Thought you would you enjoy it!

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/opinion/06krugman.html?_r=2

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys, I've made it easier to post comments. You wont have to type in a word verification anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Evan, the point of the second to last paragraph was to show that teachers and text books are often wrong too. Right now in economics, there is a big battle between what it the right school of thought, between keynesian and monetarism (friedman). There's such a divide, that you could go to graduate school and only learn one model because the professors at that school beleive in that model. Over the last 30 years, monetarism was the dominant thought. However, with the current crisis, Keynesian is gaining favor. Basically, the two theories just went head to head over the stimuls plan.

    Point is, at the end of the day, everyone has slanted views inlcuding teachers, textbooks and wikipedia. What was right one day may be wrong the next. And all of us need to be aware of that when we learn anything.

    With that said, ultimatley, wikipedia is the begining of the change of our education system. I'm not sure what form its going to take exactly (or even if its going to take shape through wikipedia) but we will see drastic changes in our lifetime towards a more web based collegiate education

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Dlaz is right on! It is less about what wikipedia might offer and more about how the the flow of information has become some fluid. If someone is motivated and determined enough they can become somewhat of an expert in almost in any field (think matt damon in good will hunting) We may not all have photographic memories but the point is the knowledge is there for taking. There is just as much bias in the classroom as there is on the internet. I think what Doug is referring to about wikipedia is more baout how you can start on one topic and end up learning about 50! MOst of know that wikipedia is not completely accurate but it onl takes a few more clicks to verify the truth.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  9. For you megan fox fans have some bad news
    ....

    http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/articles/2009/03/06/20090306fox.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blog post is definitely right up my alley. I love throwing around the sentence, "I have a bachelors degree in Communications from the University of Connecticut". But what I really should be saying is, "I spent four years at a college in which I took a bunch of courses that had no connection to eachother whatsoever and prepared me in the least for entering the real world". Which would then be followed by, "Now please hire me so that you can give me money so that I can pay back my tuition for those pointless courses".

    Yes, Dug, although I do agree that the amount of money put into my college education has left a bitter taste in my mouth, I for one hope that the internet does not become the answer to everything. Seeing that I am a big "people person" and have become more and more aware of and intrigued by interpersonal communications, the thought of a complete internet takeover scares me a bit.
    I would think that reformatting and reconstructing the college education would fair much better. How about colleges start teaching important things like the fundamentals of English (which most people still haven't learned before entering college because they were failed by previous education systems), or how to figure out what jobs you would be best at and how to get them, or even make co-op experiences a requirement in order to graduate. Just my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes, we still need human contact. but the future of the web will be much more interactive, incorporating touch and probably taste and smell. Now, if you want to see something that will blow your mind, click on the lnk below

    http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/juan_enriquez_shares_mindboggling_new_science.html

    It's a video from Juan Enriquez, the director of Life Sciences Project at Harvard. The video is about first the financial crisis, but more importantly, about technology moving forward. It about 20 minutes long, but worth watching. Its certainly a glimpse into the future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So we will all attend the same Internet University, where all thought and theories are the same? No. Isn't that part of the point of graduate or business school? Find a theory or model you like, practice and perfect it, build upon it, etc. If the debate is raging in university about which 'theory' to use I would argue that is a good thing, whether it be 2 theories or 20. If the school YOU choose is only teaching one theory, that's on you my friend.

    Anyway, a good debate, and I certainly agree the internet is at the center of many changes coming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. See but thats the difference. Anyone can edit a page in wikipedia (yes this leads to trouble, but the pages are fairly well regulated and getting better). Pull up the wiki page on Keynesian and there is a link on that page to monetarism and you can read about monetarism. You can view ALL the theories. YOU can dceide the direction you want to go and what you want to learn, not the professor, or the school. The problem at some universities is that there is NO debate. The teaching would go something like: teacher: Montetarism is the acceptable school of thought. student: what about keynesian? teacher: that's a discredited theory, lets move on.

    What if your school only taught or pushed intelligent design at an age when your impressionable, but didnt teach theory of evolution? Is that one you then?

    Now go to wikipedia and type in intelligent design. Let me know if you learn about both intelligent design and evolution.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YES, absolutely that is on you (or rather your parents) in that you chose to live in a district which only teaches intelligent design.

    I absolutely understand your point, but I do think the farther away you get from school the more you tend to discredit it. No, it's not for everyone (clearly) but many need structure like that, right or wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well I feel bad for everyone who's parents decided to raise them in Kansas:) That was just an example, there could be a 1000 things that are being taught one-sided. Anyway, I see your point. Discipline and structure are important for a healthy learning environment.

    Lets agree to disagree and that I wont drink a redeye starbucks coffeb before responding to commments

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Let's talk about something that really matters. Like keeping steroids out of T-ball."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can we discuss how the suns can't finish a game to save their life?

    ReplyDelete