Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sure, the US is in Trouble, but Russia is Screwed


I was going to write a post today about doom and gloom and where I think the US economy is headed. However, I figured it best to wait until at least the fourth or fifth post to scare the bejesus out of my readers (3 strong now). Instead, we'll take this opportunity to laugh at the Russians.

If your not familiar with Igor Panarin, your in for a treat. He is the dean of Russia's Foreign Ministry diplomatic academy (FMDA). And he also likes to make predictions about the US. Amongst them: Obama will order Marshall law within the year, the US will split into 6 rump-states by 2011 and Russia and China will become the backbone of the new world order.

But the kicker, he thinks Russia and China should work together to make a new currency to replace the US dollar. I guess on PBS (Putin Broadcasting Service) they refrain from mentioning that the Russian ruble has fallen 30% against the US dollar in the last six months, or that their currency has recently been downgraded or that there is a world wide fear that the ruble is going to collapse.

Asked recently by one astute instructor at a lecture at the FMDA if his predictions more accurately described Russia, Igor quickly dismissed the thought. This blog had sought further comments from this instructor for the purpose of this story, but unfortunately, he is now permanently missing.

I am reminded of the Iraqi minister of disinformation ,aka Baghdad Bob, in the final days of the Iraqi invasion, telling the world on video that there were no troops in Baghdad and that the Americans were surrendering by the thousands. Meanwhile, in the background of the video, you could see Baghdad being bombed and in complete ruins. Within a few day, Baghdad had fallen.

Despite the struggles here in the US, we can take solace in the fact that an authoritarian government is disintegrating. Well, I for one, look forward to the end of Putinism, when Russians will once again be free to drink their Stoli and read my blog....but just in case there is some truth to those predictions, I am formerly announcing my candidacy for the President of the Southwest Rump-State of the UnUS.

8 comments:

  1. Do you really want the Putin era to end? The Russians have a track record of success (at least in absolute macroeconomic terms) under leaders with atrocious human rights records. And besides, I personally enjoy how crazy Putin is -- during the wars with Chechnya, I got the impression that he wanted to kill some Chechens himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your = posessive, You're = you are. Other than that, great Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, your right, for the sake of comedy and future posts to this blog, we need Putin. Besides, its always good to have an enemy to rally against.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adj, your right, ill never do it again. But thats the reason I put a grammar dislcaimer in first post. Glas you like the blog. Much like you were suprised I write, I am suprised you enjoy reading about the economy, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. booyah, nice #2 article...keep it up lazzo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An end to Putinism? Would that signal the beginning of Medvedevism? I hope not because that is a bitch to pronounce.

    By the way, I'm impressed...two blogs in two days. And you haven't run out of things to say yet?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saturday night and I'm reading DL -- I rule --- basically Late Nite with Lazzo --- that should be the new direction for your blogs --- the later the better -- i think you should articulate your love for steriods and Arod in your next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both, Aroid and steroids will be a topic this week. However, i've already finished the next post. About the economy, buts its a creative angle. Not sure if I'm going to post tonight or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete